JVP Law, PLLC is committed to safeguarding the privacy of visitors to our website, contacts for our clients and prospective clients, contacts for suppliers of goods and services to the Firm, candidates for employment or engagement, and any other individuals about whom the Firm obtains personal information (each, “you”). Please read the following statement, which sets out the principles governing the Firm’s use of personal information that JVP Law, PLLC may obtain about you, to understand how the Firm collects, uses, and otherwise processes your personal information as well as the rights that you have in relation to our processing of that information (the “Privacy Statement”). In this Privacy Statement, “personal information” means information that (either in isolation or in combination with other information held by the Firm) enables you to be identified or recognized.
JVP Law, PLLC is the data controller in relation to any personal information that the Firm processes about you and is responsible for ensuring that such processing complies with applicable data protection laws, including the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) and the CCPA. Your privacy is important to JVP Law, PLLC.
Although you are not required to provide any personal information on the public areas of our website, you may choose to do so by completing the free consultation form. Should you do so, JVP Law, PLLC may, for example, keep a record of your name, email address, and any other information you voluntarily provide to me.
Additionally, JVP Law, PLLC may collect the following categories of personal information from you in the course of business, including through your use of the website, when you contact or request information from me when we provide services to you or receive services from you:
- Identification data, such as name, gender, title, job title, or address.
- Contact information, including your phone number(s), your email address and social media account or handle where appropriate.
- Financial data, such as bank account information and invoicing details.
- Event registration or mailing list data, such as dietary requirements (which may reveal information about your health or religious beliefs), preferences and interests, subscriptions, downloads, and username/passwords.
- Legal and regulatory compliance data as required for purposes such as know your client, anti-money laundering, and market abuse regulations requirements, or as part of our client onboarding process, which may include passport or other identification data, date of birth, home address, and other due diligence data.
- Other service data, such as personal information relevant to the provision or receipt of services, in relation to any of your employees, customers or vendors, and client feedback.
- Cookie and device data, such as information about your visit to our website, IP address, device identifier, browser type and version, operating system and network, location, and time zone setting.
JVP Law, PLLC may supplement the information that you provide with information that JVP Law, PLLC receives or obtains from other sources such as third parties with whom JVP Law, PLLC interacts, and publicly available sources.
JVP Law, PLLC may use your personal information for the following purposes and, for each purpose, based on the following legal grounds:
- Provision of legal services – JVP Law, PLLC uses personal information that you voluntarily submit to the website or during the course of the engagement, regardless of the media used, such as identification data, contact details, and other service data that JVP Law, PLLC may process in connection with the provision of services. The Firm’s work for you may also involve providing such information to third parties, such as expert witnesses and other professional advisers in order to represent your interests most effectively. This processing is necessary for me to perform our contract with you.
- Administration of client and vendor relationships – JVP Law, PLLC’s use identification data, contact details, financial data, and other service data, including for the processing of invoices, the updating of client records, and the management of our vendor relationships. This processing is necessary to perform our contract with you.
- Addressing client inquiries/feedback – JVP Law, PLLC uses identification data, contact details, and other service data for this purpose. This process is necessary to perform a contract with you. It may also be necessary for our legitimate interests to establish or maintain a relationship with you; it is also in your interest to receive a response from me when you contact me.
- Sending relevant marketing messages and inviting you to events/seminars – JVP Law, PLLC’s use identification data, contact details, cookie and device data, and mailing list data to communicate with you by way of email alerts and post to provide you with information about our events, seminars, or services that may be of interest to you. This processing is necessary for our legitimate interest to send you tailored marketing messages, client newsletters, and invitations to relevant events and seminars.
- Improving JVP Law, PLLC’s website – JVP Law, PLLC uses cookie and device data to improve the functionality and user-friendliness of its website. This processing is necessary to constantly monitor and improve your online presence and services.
- Keeping website and IT systems and processes safe – JVP Law, PLLC uses identification data, contact details, financial data, cookie and device data, and other service data. This processing is necessary to perform a contract with you and to ensure the security and confidentiality of your data. It is also necessary for our legitimate interests to prevent illegal activities, including fraud, which could harm you and me.
- Complying with legal or regulatory inquiries/requests – JVP Law, PLLC uses identification data, contact details, financial data, cookie and device data, and legal and regulatory compliance data (including for anti-money laundering or fraud detection purposes, statutory returns, and fulfillment of the Firm’s ethical obligations). This processing is necessary for the purpose of complying with legal requirements that apply to the Firm.
JVP Law, PLLC may share your personal information with the following categories of recipients:
- professional advisers, partners, and agents of JVP Law, PLLC to provide you with local legal services, as required, and to administer our relationship with you;
- vendors that will process your personal information on our behalf and under our written instructions to carry out their services during the course of our business, such as IT service providers, financial institutions, customer relationship management databases, and other cloud-based solutions, third party companies providing me with business analytics and statistics to assist with our marketing campaigns, and third party venues in which I may host events and seminars. JVP Law, PLLC’s contract with such vendors to ensure that they only process your personal information under our instructions and ensure the security and confidentiality of your personal information by implementing the appropriate technical and organizational measures for such processing;
- any law enforcement, regulatory, or government agency requesting personal information in connection with any inquiry, subpoena, court order, or other legal or regulatory procedures, with which JVP Law, PLLC would need to comply. JVP Law, PLLC may also share personal information to establish or protect the Firm’s legal rights, property, or safety, or the rights, property, or safety of others, or to defend against legal claims;
- any third party connected with business transfers; JVP Law, PLLC may transfer your personal information to third parties in connection with a reorganization, restructuring, merger, acquisition, or transfer of assets of the Firm, provided that the receiving party agrees to treat your personal information in a manner consistent with this Privacy Statement.
JVP Law, PLLC is not responsible for the data policies or procedures, or content of any linked websites. JVP Law, PLLC recommends that you check the privacy and security policies of each website you visit.
JVP Law, PLLC may send you direct marketing messages including by way of email alerts and post provided that JVP Law, PLLC has a lawful ground to do so. If you no longer wish to receive email alerts, to be part of a mailing list, or to receive any marketing communications, you can opt-out of such communications at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the relevant communication or contacting me at email@example.com
If you are in the European Economic Area (the “EEA”) or the United Kingdom (the “UK”), you have the following rights:
- Access. You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that I am processing about you. If you require additional copies, JVP Law, PLLC may need to charge a reasonable fee;
- Rectification. You have the right to require the correction of any mistake in the personal information, whether incomplete or inaccurate, that I hold about you;
- Deletion. You have the right to require the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations, such as where I no longer need it or if you withdraw your consent (where applicable);
- Portability. You have the right to receive the personal information concerning you that you have provided to JVP Law, PLLC, in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit that data to a third party in certain situations;
- Objection. You have the right to (i) object at any time to the processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes and (ii) object to our processing of your personal information where the legal ground of such processing is necessary for legitimate interests pursued by me or by a third party. I will then abide by your request unless I can demonstrate compelling legal grounds for the processing;
- Restriction. You have the right to request that I restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances, such as when you contest the accuracy of that personal information;
- Withdrawal of consent. If I rely on your consent (or explicit consent) as our legal basis for processing your personal information, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. “Explicit consent” would be required if the Firm relies on consent as the condition to lawfully process “special categories of personal data,” as defined in the GDPR.
If you are in the EEA, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the local data protection authority, such as la Commission Nationale de l’Informatique et des Libertés (“CNIL”) in France, if you believe that I have not complied with applicable data protection laws, including the GDPR. Please click here for a list of local data protection authorities in the EEA countries. If you are in the UK, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office, who can be contacted here.
Please note that some of these rights may be limited where I have an overriding interest or legal obligation to continue to process the personal information or where data may be exempt from disclosure due to reasons of legal professional privilege or professional secrecy obligations.
If you are in the EEA or the UK and would like to exercise any of those rights, please:
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provide enough information to identify yourself (e.g., name, email address, etc.);
- Provide proof of your identity and address (a copy of your driver’s license or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill); and
- Provide the information to which your request relates.
Sources of Personal Information Collected. JVP Law, PLLC obtains the categories of personal information directly from you, such as when you complete forms, indirectly from you, such as observing your actions on our website, and from publicly available sources.
Disclosures for a Business or Commercial Purpose. In the preceding 12 months, Skadden has disclosed the types of personal information listed above to its service providers for business purposes.
No Sale of Personal Information. In the preceding 12 months, I have not sold any personal information.
JVP Law, PLLC has implemented technical and organizational security measures in an effort to safeguard the personal information in my custody and control. Such measures include, for example, limiting access to personal information to authorized service providers on a need-to-know basis for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement, as well as other administrative, technical, and physical safeguards.
I endeavor to take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information, but cannot guarantee the security of any data you disclose online. Please note that email is not a secure medium and should not be used to send confidential or sensitive information. By providing information online, you accept the inherent security risks of providing information over the Internet and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security, unless it is due to our negligence or wilful default.
Do Not Track
Please note that I do not support “Do Not Track” browser settings at this time.
I will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary for the purposes for which that information was collected as set out in this Privacy Statement or for longer as required under any applicable legal, regulatory, accounting, or reporting requirements. Should you opt-out or no longer wish to receive marketing messages from me, I will securely delete your personal information from the relevant mailing list(s).
Notification of Changes
I may occasionally update this Privacy Statement as our services and privacy practices change, or as required by applicable legal or regulatory requirements. Where it is practicable, I will notify you by email of any significant changes. However, the last update date is posted below, and I encourage you to review this Privacy Statement periodically to be informed of how I use your personal information.